MEP's of European Parliament defend fundamental rights of EU citizens, oppose mandatory proof of vaccination

TRANSCRIPT BELOW PRESS RELEASE

MEP Christine Anderson, after emphasizing the importance of human rights, said: “Let me say this, I am not afraid of this virus. What I am afraid of is governments abusing this or any other «crisis» for that matter, to infringe on civil rights, to revoke them or to question freedom altogether.”

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – In an unprecedented move, four MEPs from several minority party groupings have joined forces, reacting to the increased violations of fundamental human rights across the EU.

The members of the European Parliament took a joint stand in defense of the fundamental rights of all EU citizens, which they say are under threat now due to mandatory vaccination and abusive use of the Digital Covid Certificate.

Speaking at a press conference in Strasbourg on 20 October 2021, they also voiced the severe concerns of staff members working for the European Parliament. The latter live under the threat of losing their jobs if they do not have the Digital Covid Certificate, aka Green Certificate.

The press conference called “Defending fundamental rights by opposing the misuse of Digital Green Certificate” was addressed by four MEPs: Christine Anderson (Germany, ID), Francesca Donato (Italy, NI), Ivan Vilibor Sinčić (Croatia, NI), and Cristian Terheş (Romania, ECR).

These MEPs decided to give voice to millions of European citizens fighting all across the EU for their fundamental rights.

MEP Christine Anderson, after emphasizing the importance of human rights, said: “Let me say this, I am not afraid of this virus. What I am afraid of is governments abusing this or any other «crisis» for that matter, to infringe on civil rights, to revoke them or to question freedom altogether.

"What we have seen in this crisis is that civil rights and liberties have been transformed from fundamental rights to privileges that governments grant or revoke as they see fit. I call on all Europeans to stand up to any government trying to take away our freedom, civil rights, and liberties!”

Lawyer and MEP Francesca Donato said that “we have a terrible situation in Europe today because human rights are not respected […], and all over Europe peaceful protests are violently repressed.”

Introduced as a tool to facilitate freedom of circulation, the COVID Certificate is now being used in many countries by national governments as a “compulsory” passport for every social activity, including employment, she stated, giving the example of Italy.

“And so we are forcing citizens to receive invasive and risky health treatments because the informed consent that citizens are obliged to sign to receive the vaccines is not free: it’s an extorted consent. So, even when people have medical contraindications for receiving vaccines, they are obliged to take them. They are forced to do it because they would lose the job, would lose their fundamental rights if they don’t do it. And when these people have adverse effects, even very severe adverse effects, they don’t receive any free assistance. Even reports of adverse effects are very rare. The data of adverse effects that we can read on papers are just underestimated.

So we have a medical issue that has turned into a democratic issue. We must all today stand for the defense of human rights in Europe, we must do it all together, and we must do it now,” she concluded.

MEP Ivan Sinčić said “that it is really sad to see freedoms, rights, and the rule of law endangered in Europe today. Unfortunately, in some countries, you cannot keep your job without Digital Green Certificate, you cannot enter public buildings without DGC, you cannot enter a shop without DGC.

He described the Digital Green Cert “as a license to spread and infect” that gives “a false sense of security” since it is not protecting the person from getting or spreading the virus. The Digital Green Certificate “is completely illogical, it is not scientific and must be abandoned,” he added.

Sinčić stated that he also “fully support[s] the staff of European Parliament in their positions. ^The positions of non-discrimination, non-segregation, the freedom to come to the workplace. This is their workplace along with us, the MEP’s. My message to the staff is simple: You are not alone and fight for your rights! We are fighting along with you!” he concluded.

MEP Cristian Terhes quoted from Art 46 of the original Digital Green Certificate regulation, which outlined the European Parliament’s desire to uphold fundamental human rights.

“Well, if we look now, a few months after this Green Certificate was imposed in the European Union, we see exactly the opposite, that all these rights that, allegedly were supposed to be protected by this regulation, are violated right now. People cannot work anymore, and they live under the threat of losing their jobs and livelihoods if they don’t have this certificate. Is this the type of European Union that we want to build, that we want to accept?”, Terhes asked.

“They haven’t done anything wrong. This is an absurd situation. Hundreds of people working for the Parliament are faced with the threat that sooner than later if they don’t have this Green Certificate, they will be losing their job. this is not fair to them, it is not fair to the citizens of this Union, and it’s not fair to all of us.” For these reasons, “we are here for you, and we will fight for you,” Terhes concluded.

The positions expressed publicly by these MEPs, in defense of fundamental rights, including of the staff working for the European Parliament, are shared by many others, who will join together to provide active opposition to the constant attacks on fundamental rights caused by the misuse of the Digital COVID Certificate.

Source: The RioTimesOnline

TRANSCRIPT VIDEO:

Cristian Terhes: [Thank you very] much for being here today and to answer our request for a press conference.

We are a group of MEPs – a small group of MEPs right now and many others who are not here today due to the circumstances that we are facing right now. Many of us are joining online. Other of us are supporting us, you know, from their homes.

The reason why we wanted to call this press conference today is to raise serious concerns about the fact that this discussion that is currently going on in the parliament that we, as MEPs, our staff members, and the staff that is working for the parliament, will not be able to enter – apparently soon – the premises, unless they have a certificate. And this is raising a lot of concerns to many of us as MEPs, to many of our staff members, and to many of the workers that are working for the European Parliament.

So, I am here today with my colleagues. On my left is our colleague Christina Anderson from Germany. Further to the left, our colleague Francesca Donato from Italy, and to my right, my colleague, Ivan Sincic from Croatia. We are from different political groups. We have other members from the left to the right spectrum of political groups that are all concerned about this problem, about this issue, that the basic fundamental rights of us, of our assistants, I say, of the staff members and nevertheless of the European citizens, are deeply under threat right now.

And, before I go any further, I would say, with what I personally have to say, I want to introduce my colleague, Christine Anderson. I know she has different positions, tough positions on this issue, and I would like her to express that. Thank you.

Christine Anderson: Yes, thank you very much. The main problem in my view, in connection with this Covid crisis, is that civic rights are being increasingly curtailed, and it is not clear why citizens would go along with this.

One of the reasons might be – and this is one of the disadvantages of free democratic societies – that you always reach a point, in which you believe that democracy and the rule of law and freedom are somehow God-given, that they have always been there, and they will survive, whereas in actual fact, these are rights that have to be battled for.

And that is why we have to do more to fight for this right to freedom. And that is why these fundamental principles, which are anchored in the basic law in the constitution in Germany, should not be viewed as privileges, which are given by the government and can then be withdrawn. And I am unequivocal about the fact that I am not fearful of Covid at all. What I am worried about are the kinds of governments, which exploit this crisis, in order to curb civic freedoms and to grant certain privileges – or not, as the case may be.

What we stand for in Europe is freedom, democracy, and the rule of law. And there can be no reason for those rights being curtailed by governments. That is the real problem here. That is the problem we need to deal with: make it clear to the people of Europe that they should not tolerate this for a moment longer. Thank you.

Cristian Terhes: Francesca?

Francesca Donato: Thank you very much to you all. It is very important for me to be here today. I think that all that my colleague Christina has said, is really important.

We have a really terrible situation in Europe today because, as she said, human rights are not respected. We have the European Chart of Human Rights, which has the full value of a treaty and should be taken into account by all national governments while writing their laws. But, in fact, it is obliterated today because fundamental human rights, such as the human right to individual freedom, to employment, equality, education, health, free expression of thought, are seriously violated, and all over Europe, peaceful protests are violently repressed.

So, we had in Europe the European Union and the European Parliament introduce a Covid certificate, just to facilitate movement between member states and with the purpose to avoid any discrimination against not vaccinated people.

But the Italian government and other national government in Europe have introduced a compulsory Covid certificate for every social activity, such as entering public premises, or traveling inside the countries, or for, in Italy, just also employment, university education, and so on. They just make a big discrimination between vaccinated people and unvaccinated because we have the introduction of an absolute presumption of effectivity for nonvaccinated people, and of non-effectivity for vaccinated people that are both scientifically unfounded.

And so, we are forcing citizens to receive invasive and risky health treatment because the informed consent that citizens are obliged to sign to receive the vaccines is not free. It is a constraint consent.

So, even when people have radical contraindications for receiving vaccines, they are obliged to do that – they are forced to do it – because they would lose their job, would lose their fundamental rights if they don’t. And when these people have adverse effects, even very severe adverse effects, they don’t receive any free assistance. Even the reports of adverse effects are very rare. So, the data of adverse effects that we can read on papers are just underestimated.

So, we have a medical issue, which has turned into a democratic issue. We must today, I think, all stand for the defense of human rights in Europe, and we must do it all together, and we must do it now. We can’t wait any longer because a lot of people are suffering, are losing their jobs. A lot of families are losing their right to have money to live. And this involves not only national citizens, such as Italians or French people, but also foreign ones who work and live in other countries in the European Union, where the right of establishment for workers and the right of circulation is one of the founding rights of the European Unity and the European Union.

So, I ask, I call for stopping violently repressing demonstrators. Just listen to demands from people, and let’s give back to people their right to live a full life with all the human rights, without any more distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. Let’s treat everybody as human beings, as our Chart of Human Rights obliges us to do. Thank you.

Cristian Terhes: Thank you. Ivan, you have the call.

Ivan Vilibor Sincic: Thank you very much. Thank you all for coming. I am Ivan Vilibor Sincic, a member of the environment committee – environment and public food safety – and all of these documents about managing the Covid crisis went through our committee. I feel to say that.

And I must say that it is really sad to see our freedom’s rights and rule of law endangered in Europe today. Unfortunately, in some countries, you cannot keep your job without digital green certificate. You cannot enter a public building without DGC; you cannot enter a shop without the DGC.

We are facing now, on the contrary, more and more evidence – in fact, in more and more scientific research evidence – that people carrying a DGC can infect other people. DGC is a license to spread and infect. Unfortunately, DGC gives a false sense of security. DGC is completely illogical. It is not scientific, and it must be abandoned.

I fully support the staff of the European Parliament in their positions, their positions of

• Non-discrimination, non-segregation
  • The freedom to come to their workplace. This is their workplace, along with us, the MEPs.
  • The implementation of proportional and adequate sanitary measures
  • The vaccine not being compulsory
  • 100% teleworking offered for vulnerable staff
  • Free and informed consent, as my colleague said – which are described with various international documents from the Vienna Convention, the Nuremberg Code, Resolutions of the Council of Europe (the Council of Europe is right there, a few meters from this parliament building) – free and informed consent, a right, which belongs to individual freedom to decide whether or not to say yes or no to a medical act of any kind, the treatment of any kind.

Our message to the staff is simple: You are not alone. Fight for your rights, and we are fighting along with you. Thank you.

Cristian Terhes: Thank you, Ivan.

I want to quote something precisely from the regulation that was voted a few months ago that imposed all across Europe this green certificate. Paragraph 46 of that regulation states the following, and I quote:

“This regulation respects the fundamental rights and observes the principle recognized in particular by the Charter of Human Rights, including the right to respect of private life and family life, the right to the protection of personal data, the right to equality before the law, and non-discrimination, the right to free movement, and the right to an effective remedy. Member States should comply with the Charter when implementing these regulations.”

This is what was stated in this regulation, and this is what was voted and what was agreed in the trialogue.

Well, if we look now, a few months after this green certificate was imposed in the European Union, we see exactly the opposite. All these rights that allegedly were supposed to be protected by these regulations, are actually violated right now. People cannot work anymore, and they live under the threat of losing their jobs and their livelihoods if they are not having this certificate.

I have a colleague here from Italy. We have about a million and a few hundred thousand Romanians in Italy; many more Polish; many more Bulgarian and other people from eastern Europe. They are all citizens of this European Union with equal rights. I have to tell you that in the last few weeks, I am bombarded with petitions from people in Italy, from people in France, from people in Spain, concerned that they will be losing their jobs if they don’t have this green certificate.

The problem is many of these people already had Covid-19. They have proof that they have antibodies, the natural antibodies, and nobody cares. They are forced to do or to be exposed, for example, or to take a medical product that, for various reasons, they don’t want to take. If they don’t do it, they will lose their jobs.

So, our concern is, is this the type of European Communion that we want to be in, that we want to accept? Is this the European Union, as it is stated in the treaty of the European Union, that this union is a space of freedom? Do we still have that freedom anymore or not?

So I was, we were… Some of the people, I would say, that raised these concerns during the debates in the parliament, when this green certificate was debated, at that point, our voice was a minority, as proven by the vote. The problem now is, more and more people in Europe are affected by the decision made even by this house. You have seen the protests in Italy and in many other countries.

Unbelievably – I am coming from a former communist country – we haven’t had a protest for liberty since the fall of communism. Out of the blue, we see people from Romania, and we see people, interestingly enough, in Spain and Italy and in many other countries fighting for freedom, for liberty. They are not fighting for higher pensions, for higher salaries or for any of these other rights. They simplify for the basic human right of being free, to decide implicitly what they want to do with their body.

So, this issue was raised by us, as proven by the records of the parliament, now it is affecting a lot of people, a lot of our citizens. Now, the problem is that it is affecting all of us here and is threatening the parliamentarian democracy even of this house because if we will not be allowed to enter this house, unless we have a green certificate, we will not be able to do our job here.

But along with us, it is our assistants and our staff members. I have to tell you that we, and many others of us, were contacted anonymously, you know, off the record, I would say, but many of the staff members who are deeply concerned, people that have worked for this house for decades. They have a family; they have mortgages; credits in banks. And now they live with this threat that sooner rather than later, if they don’t have this green certificate, they will be losing their job.

But they haven’t done anything wrong! This is the absurd situation. Many of them already went through this insane illness that killed so many people. They have proof that they developed a natural immunity. And for some reason, unknown reason, illogical reason, non-medically proven reason, they will be faced with losing their jobs, unless they have a green certificate.

It is not fair to them. It is not fair to the citizens of this Union. It is not fair to any of us. You know, we were elected here to represent our citizens. We have our assistants, you know, who are helping us to serve our citizens, but nevertheless, there are thousands of people working for the parliament, for the nation, for the council, without them, we would not be able to do our jobs. They are the unknown people that are actually caring about everything we do here and everything we have here.

And just this stress to come to work every day, to be threatened, to be afraid that you might lose your job because you don’t have a certificate that is not certifying anything. Because clearly, if you are vaccinated, you can get Covid and you can spread the virus. I mean, it is proven already.

And if you have a negative test, that is just proving that at the moment you got the test you were negative, but it doesn’t mean that when you leave the office or the testing place, you might not get infected and infect other people.

Interestingly enough in the parliament – and this is the absurd situation – we all agree that if you have proof of natural immunity, you should be allowed to travel freely. They removed that from the regulation! So, now, healthy people – healthy people – cannot exercise their basic fundamental right. So, an idea or a regulation that started with an idea in mind to facilitate freedom of movement, now, it is a tool, I would say, used to condition your right to work, your right to eat, your right to travel, your right to personal life, and many other things.

So, the reason why we had this press conference, is to express, through our voices, the concerns of us, the concerns of our staff members, and, nevertheless, the concerns of hundreds and maybe thousands of people that are working in the parliament, in the council, and in many other European institutions.

We are here for you, and we will fight for you.

2 Likes